Monday, December 12, 2011

Tomato Cage Christmas Trees

One thing I have learned being a gardener in this amazing city, is that tomatoes just won't grow here. Or at least in our foggy neighborhood they won't. Wasn't it Mark Twain who wrote the phrase "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"?  So true.  And those of you with a green thumb know that of all the veggies you can plant, tomatoes need sun the most. When we moved into our new place, I had grand ideas of having a garden out back, with the largest and most prominent of my plants being tomatoes. After 7 plants and two huge tomato cages later, let's just say it was an epic fail.  I finally gave up on that crop and moved on to what works in colder climates.  And finally, now I do have a great garden of root based plants and herbs (hello yummy carrots and radishes!).  After a few months of seeing those tomato cage trees sitting lonely and unused, I was thrilled to stumble upon this cute blog post about alternative Christmas Trees.  This project was so simple to construct and cost me nothing to make, as I already had the twinkly lights on hand.  And hey, I might not have gotten any tomatoes this year but at lease I was able to reuse the cages for some fun holiday decorating.


No comments:

Post a Comment