Thursday, December 8, 2011

Candy Cane Vase

When it comes to holiday decorations, it can be a bit overwhelming.  Sometimes I want to run in the opposite direction screaming just because there is way too much out there. Clearly I am bad at making decisions when feeling smothered.  However, something that always goes on my holiday decor list is a poinsettia plant.  I love that we only see this plant during this one time each year. Surely they could grow year round, right?  For this reason poinsettia's feel so special to me - as if they have been tucked away and grown in secret, only to be brought out in that interim time between Thanksgiving and Christmas to let us all know the holidays have officially arrived.  Every year I bring one home and plunk it into whatever pot I have handy at the time, but this year I decided to spruce it up a bit. I saw this darling idea here for a candy cane vase but instead of using glass, I used an old tomato can.  I figured I would end up tossing it when the plant eventually kicked it, so why waste a perfectly good vase.  I also hot glued the candy canes to the vase instead of using a rubber band, only because I thought it might be a bit sturdier.  The best thing about this project was that my entire expense was about $5 (that covered the candy canes and the red paper I used underneath, as everything else I had on hand at home).  It looks so cute on our dining room table and I didn't have to wade through endless aisles of holiday decorations just to find it. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment