Thursday, November 24, 2011

The perfect fall table...

Most people get excited about normal things - nice weather, a good football game, a great sale...you get the idea. I get excited over a well set table. I know, it's crazy and maybe a bit neurotic, but there is something about everything laid out perfectly on a dinner table that makes me happy. I think it's a combination of how organized everything looks (hello, type A) but also what it represents. To me, when I see all of the plates perfectly lined up with the forks and knives and the empty wine glasses sitting there ready to be filled, I see what's about to happen at that table. I see loved ones sitting around together sharing a tasty meal and yummy wine with lots and lots of great conversation and laughter. To me a perfect table represents a perfect evening at home.

Maybe that's why every time I set the table (and Dave thinks I am a total wacko for this), I like to have something unique about it - just to set it apart a little bit from the last one - something to make it memorable. Lately I have been making "take-aways" as my friend Kate likes to call them. A little something our guests can take home from the evening to remind them of the great time we had.  And why not one that will continue to thrive long after the dinner is over. I found this idea for planter place card holders at Apartment Therapy, one of my all time favorite blogs (if you don't know it, you should - you are missing out).  They were so simple to make and I love the idea of using easy to care for succulent plants that hopefully our guests can transfer to their own gardens one day.

Oh, and I also made more oreo pops (my new addiction) - little turkeys! They turned out super cute and given that Thanksgiving is right around the corner, I felt they were very appropriate. :)








1 comment:

  1. You should read "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern just to learn about Midnight Dinners :)

    ReplyDelete