Friday, April 6, 2012

A Simple Fix

Bedside table lamps frustrate me. The ones I tend to like are always ridiculously overpriced and those in my budget seem to be just plain ugly.  I also to change up our bedroom often enough that I don't really feel like spending so much money on something that I might want to toss in the near future.  So when in doubt (and on a budget), I DIY.  :) I knew I wanted something between modern and shabby chic and searched high and low for something I could transform into exactly what I was envisioning. I finally had some luck at the Alameda Antiques Fair, an amazing once-a-week flea market in the East Bay that is full of treasures galore.  After considering several old lamps (and passing most of them up due to faulty aged wiring that would require some cash to fix), I stumbled upon a perfect pair iron candle sticks for $5.  They were hollow on the inside so I was able to easily run some wiring (which I had from our old lamps) through them.  I used black chalk board paint, which I already had, for the bases as I wanted a nice flat look. For the lamps shades (which were also left over from before), I found a few yards of scrap fabric at my favorite upholstery store (Satin Moon on Clement Street) for $15 and even had a little left over to make a few pillows.  All in all, the total cost to redo these 2 lamps was $20!  Totally worth it and I am so happy with how they turned out.







No comments:

Post a Comment